server load with Rev "net" apps

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Jan 29 19:34:33 EST 2004

On Jan 29, 2002, at 4:36 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> Pierre's method works well - I've even used it in a commercial app.
> Check the archives for PHP / sockets.
>
> Essentially what you need to do is write a PHP (or Perl would work)
> script which talks over sockets to a running MetaCard app. The
> MetaCard app takes requests and writes them back to the PHP calling
> script, and keeps on running waiting for the next request- a MetaCard
> application server if you will.
>
> Since PHP is usually installed as a server module (rather than CGI),
> this method will most likely use much less memory. Even generally
> speaking, the PHP engine may have less of a footprint than the
> Metacard CGI.

Just want to point out that if the ISP is balking at heavy CGI usage it
is unlikely they are going to allow a long running server/daemon
process.

I think you would be requiring a dedicated server or dedicated "virtual
root" server at least to do that kind of setup as you and Pierre
describe.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com