multiple instances of standalone under Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 29 16:26:11 EST 2004

Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Chipp Walters wrote:
>>
>>> We've had some discussions on this list before, and the short answer
>>> is "not
>>> easily." You can do things like write a file when you open and delete
>>> it
>>> when you close --then check to see if it is there when it launches
>>> again,
>>> but this has obvious problems.
>>
>> Polling a directory for a file, while suboptimal, is pretty fast and
>> would
>> seem to get the job done, no?
>
> Could you run into problems if your app crashed and wasn't able to
> clean up after itself?  The next time your app launched the file would
> still be there and your app would shut itself down.

I had thathappen with a CGI.  I changed it so the file contains a timestamp;
if more than 10 seconds old it deletes it and moves on.

With desktop apps its more complicated, since the length of a session is
less predictable.

Could a local UDP or TCP call be used for that instead?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation