server load with Rev "net" apps

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Jan 29 16:12:27 EST 2004

On Jan 29, 2004, at 1:07 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> As I understand it, yes, a separate instance will open with each hit.
> I think Pierre Sahores figured out a way to keep the engine running so
> this wouldn't happen, but I don't know how he did it.

It is just the nature of CGI programming in general. AFAIK Rev is no
different than other languages like Perl, Python, TCL, etc. in this
respect.

Solution 1- Switch to an ISP than has more leniency for heavily used
CGI apps.

Solution 2- Stop using the CGI interface and switch to an application
server environment, which generally run in persistently in memory. This
would mean throwing out Rev and rewriting in another language.

A modified CGI environment might be able to run Rev scripts, but most
ISPs don't offer such services as FastCGI or PCGI.

modified CGI environment: FastCGI, PCGI
apache DSOs: PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.
application servers: ASP (.NET?), Java Servlets, Coldfusion, ZOPE.

Hope this helps,

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com