Handy Handler #5: Pack / Unpack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 29 01:55:46 EST 2004

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Just a thank-you for a great, well-written article on GPGE (Gaskin's Pretty
> Good Encryption;-)
> <http://www.revjournal.com/>
> One of the great things about your articles, is there's always something of
> interest for every level of RR developer!

That's very kind of you Chipp and much appreciated, but I feel compelled to
remind folks that the algorithm presented there is not even close to the
level of security that more serious crypto-hobbyists like Dar Scott and Mark
"Transcript Blowfish" Brownell could (and in Mark's case has) come up with.

But if only lightweight encryption will suffice and speed is appreciated,
the "MDX" algorithm described in that article benchmarks at about
300k/second to pack and 200k/second to unpack on a slow 500MHz Mac (can't
wait until the new machine arrives).

Most of all, it's simple, easy to use, and fun. So maybe it's better
characterized as "Gaskin's Pretty Fun Encryption". :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation