[off-list] PAD generators

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 13:19:02 EST 2004

On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 10:46  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I'm having trouble with my PAD files reported by some sites as being
> in an
> invalid format.   Hand-editing something that changes so often doesn't
> seem
> an efficient solution, and clearly my current PAD generator (PADMaker)
> isn't
> up to snuff.
>
> Any of you have a favorite PAD generator?

Hi Richard,

I've spent all morning looking into this. I have a few questions after
looking at this:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/macpad/documents/
   and
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/macpad/

I don't have Word for Mac X (and never will I hope) so the original
download was worthless to me. Luckily I found these HTML versions
(above).

My big question is on the kind of document type is expected by
MacShareware.net? Is this a text doc?
  -------
Ref:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/macintosh/story/
0,24330,3392248,00.html

You can edit or examine a .plist with any text editor (BBEdit Lite is a
good choice), but be careful how you change it. Any mistakes can render
the associated program, or even the operating system, unusable.
  -------

I know I will probably find this soon after reading the full docs but
if it is a .plist file located at my web site then I would love to blow
out a pull-parser version of a proper file creation tool for Rev
developers.

This looks like what it might need at the top:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">

I guess the file type should be "TEXT"

Is that correct?

Thanks for turning us all on to this. I think I've seen PAD mentioned
before on this list but I've learned quite al lot in the past six
months, so this looks easy to do now (I hope... ).

Mark Brownell