libURL issues?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jan 27 17:38:04 EST 2004

Richard,

I mentioned this at the conference.

libURL thinks it's got the file, but it's not *the* file. Just a small bit
of nodata it thinks is the file. IMO, it has to do with latency. My DAD has
this problem with his ISP: starband.net (bigtime latency).

In all my libURL downloads, I always test to make sure the file I *got* is
greater than some small amount (1000bytes) or else I repeat the download. I
try it pNumTrys times (a customProperty which is user settable).

put the altNumTry of stack "revAltLib" into tNumTrys
  put pFilePath & ".1" into tPath
  repeat tNumTrys times

    put URL pURL into URL ("binfile:"& tPath)
    if there is a file tPath then
      put true into tSuccessDL
      --> CHECK THE SIZE OF A FILE
      --> SOMETIMES IT WILL DOWNLOAD A FILE BUT IT WILL BE TOO SMALL
      if altFileSize(tPath) > 500 then
        blinkLight false
        go inv stack "answer Dialog"
        set the loc of stack "answer Dialog" to the screenloc
        show stack "answer Dialog"
        answer information " altPlugin successfully downloaded to:" &cr&
pFilePath

        put URL ("binfile:" & tPath) into URL ("binfile:" & pFilePath)
        delete file tPath

        go inv stack "answer Dialog"
        set the loc of stack "answer Dialog" to the screenloc
        show stack "answer Dialog"
        answer information "Please Quit RunRev and relaunch to see changes."
        revert
        exit to top

      else

        --> DELETE THE 'TOO SMALL' FILE
        delete file tPath

      end if
    end if
    altDebug "Could not Download Application...Try:" && tNumTrys
  end repeat

function altFileSize pPath
  if there is a file pPath then
    put the defaultFolder into tOldDF
    if pPath contains "/" then --need to set the defaultFolder
	get matchText(pPath,"(.*\/)",tFolderPath)  -- gets the folderpath
      get matchText(pPath,".*\/(.*?)$",pPath)  -- gets the file name
      set the defaultFolder to tFolderPath
    end if
    put the detailed files into tList
    set the defaultFolder to tOldDF
    put lineOffset(cr&pPath&",",cr&tList) into tLineNum
    return (item 2 of line tLineNum of tList)
  else
    return "Error: File does not exist: " & pPath
  end if
end altFileSize
best,

Chipp