filetype question

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Jan 26 22:59:58 EST 2004

If the file has an extension, like .mov or .mpg and you set it's
filetype to empty, OS X will just use whatever default program matches
the file extension and give it the appropriate icon.

Apart from that, I have found using the long files to get the file type
rather variable, sometimes it just gives ????????, but here is an
AppleScript to do it. Put this into the AppleScript Script Editor and
click the Run button. Choose a file that is already opening with the
correct application and it's filetype will be shown. Then you will know
what to set your new files to.

tell application "Finder"
	set tFile to choose file
	set tType to the file type of tFile