OT the spirit of Spirit

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Mon Jan 26 20:40:43 EST 2004

On 1/27/04 10:27 AM, "Mark Wieder" <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Trevor-
>
> Monday, January 26, 2004, 1:57:40 PM, you wrote:
>
> TD> The program Maestro <http://mars.telascience.org/> which allows you to
> TD> see the data that the robots are sending back is written in Java.  I
> TD> don't know what the robot has but perhaps this is what they were
> TD> talking about?
>
> AFAIK that's the only part of any of this that's written in java.
> Buggy and s-l-o-w, to boot. I believe Spirit's OS was done by Wind
> River Systems.

This is from a co-worker of mine:

-----
No, it's not Java - it's Wind River's proprietary OS for embedded system.
See:

http://www.windriver.com/

and check out the very clever graphic and tagline at the top of the page.
There's more detail at:

http://www.windriver.com/marsrover/index.html

I know this because Wind River Systems was our next-door neighbor when we
had our office in Alameda and I've always noticed Wind River's name when
it's mention in space projects.
-----

doug