Detect Default Browser in OSX

rgould8 at aol.com rgould8 at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 00:02:56 EST 2004

A few days ago on this listserve, someone posted this solution to determining the user's default web-browser setting in Mac OS X.  Just curious - - - can anyone who's running Panther tell me if this works for them?  It appears that my com.apple.LaunchServices data doesn't return anything with "U:http".  Lot's of settings for RealNetworks and Quicktime, but I'm not pulling in anything for a Default browser.  (Either IE or Safari).

the command replaceText(shell("defaults read
com.apple.LaunchServices"),"(\(|\))","") lists all defaults app in OS X
the block of lines starting with "U:http" gives the default browser.