Sockets Behind The Wall

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jan 22 01:07:14 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 10:38 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> It works fine when client and server stacks are on the same
> system, but not when they're on separate local systems.
>
> Anything else I can try?

Make sure you can ping your own address (not just 127.0.0.1) and the
other address from the client and the server.

You can use netstat on OS X and Windows to look at the connections.
You should be able to see the server listening even without a client.
When a client is connected you should be able to see that on either
machine (tcp).

If your system uses DHCP (or similar method) to assign addresses, they
might change between boots.  Whoops!  I saw you said the addresses are
router assigned.  Watch for this.

Some computers might have a personal firewall.

Though unusual, two computers on the same ethernet might not be on the
same subnet.  There are a few ways this can cause trouble if this is
the case.

If you have trouble with netstat or ping, holler.  Many on this list
have used them.

Arg.  I need to read better.  I also saw, in looking back, that the
client looks like it connects.  What platform(s)?  What Rev versions?
Recent chat demo stack?  Are any of these computers very slow or
virtual PCs?

Dar Scott