Porting from MacOSX to Windows

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jan 21 17:43:45 EST 2004

Hi Frank,

> 1) my .jpg file code was picking up the ._xxx.jpg versions that get
> created when copying jpg files from Mac to Windows and displaying them
> with empty images, and

I think that's a Mac issue, not a Windows issue. Windows will look for any
file ending in .jpg when you filter for .jpg

> 2) popup menus don't work when the menu button is invisible on Windows
> (even though it works fine on the Mac), and

Didn't know that, I always keep my menu buttons way off screen on Windows...

> 3) there are all sorts of little visual anomalies between the two
> versions (button sizing, placement, etc.)

Use profiles to manage this. See the Property Profiles Tutorial...

> 2. How does one debug both a Mac and Windows version if you only have a
> Mac license?  I can't imagine shelling out another $299 for the Windows
> version (or $700 for the Enterprise version) just so I can do final
> debugging and testing.  As it is currently, one has to rebuild the app
> over and over again to debug it, which sounds like a recipe for banging
> my head on the keyboard in the next month or so.

Frankly, the idea is that if you wish to port your code cross-platform, then
either

1) you purchase the license for the platform you wish to deliver on or;
2) you purchase the Enterprise version.
3) you purchase Revolution Express for Windows only $149, but you can't make
standalones.

The only other cross-platform development tool I know of which compares to
RunRev is TrollTech QT and they charge over $5000 for a Enterprise
Mac/Win/Linux coding tool. So, it seems to me RunRev is a bargain :-)

> Finally, has anyone at Revolution considered allowing licensed users of
> one version the ability to use the other versions, but only for
> development purposes?  For example, stacks could be edited and saved,
> but one couldn't build an application on the non-primary-platform
> version.

See Revolution Express

-Chipp