Porting from MacOSX to Windows

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Wed Jan 21 16:50:16 EST 2004

I was playing around with my project on Windows today using an
evaluation key version while I waited for my MacOSX license key.  I
noticed a couple of things that were different between the Mac and
Windows versions, particularly the facts that

1) my .jpg file code was picking up the ._xxx.jpg versions that get
created when copying jpg files from Mac to Windows and displaying them
with empty images, and

2) popup menus don't work when the menu button is invisible on Windows
(even though it works fine on the Mac), and

3) there are all sorts of little visual anomalies between the two
versions (button sizing, placement, etc.)

My questions are this:

1. Has anyone ported their product to Windows, and is there an FAQ
somewhere that lists all the little gotchas?

2. How does one debug both a Mac and Windows version if you only have a
Mac license?  I can't imagine shelling out another $299 for the Windows
version (or $700 for the Enterprise version) just so I can do final
debugging and testing.  As it is currently, one has to rebuild the app
over and over again to debug it, which sounds like a recipe for banging
my head on the keyboard in the next month or so.

Finally, has anyone at Revolution considered allowing licensed users of
one version the ability to use the other versions, but only for
development purposes?  For example, stacks could be edited and saved,
but one couldn't build an application on the non-primary-platform
version.

Thanks in advance,
-- Frank