Another newbie Mac Question...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 21 12:31:26 EST 2004

Ray G. Miller wrote:

>>> It does appear that using the answer file with type "PNGf" works for .PNG
>>> files
>>
>> Here (OS X 10.2.8) it only works for files which have the appropriate type
>> assigned as Finder metadata.  If I get one from the Internet so no Finder
>> data is attached it is not selectable with either syntax, filter or type.
>>
>> So the conundrum remains:  How do we expect Rev the write a custom
>> filterProc which will handle all possible Finder type code/file name
>> extension combinations?
>>
> Yep, and it's the same when Macaroons try to open a MC/Rev stack with the
> creatorType stripped...
>
> I have a "Converter" stack which allows the scripter to quickly convert a
> "text" file to the MC/Rev stack or whatever... without having to remember
> which button key and keyboard keys to hold down... ;-)
>

> It's called "Convert Text File To MC/Rev stack or Whatever Else File". or
> CTFTMVREVSOWEF for short.
>
> I can send it to you for distribution...

Pop it in RevNet for the quickest distribution.

Sure would be nice if Apple would provide backward compatibility with their
own conventions.  This monkey business of making developers write custom
filter-procs evidences a bizarre organizational process there.

NOTE TO LIST MANAGER:

The reply-to address is set to:

  "rgmiller at p_____l.net, How to use Revolution"
<use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>

(I modified Ray's address to prevent it from being picked up by spambots,
but you get the idea)

A similar change has found its way into the MC list as well.  In some cases
it makes the reply-to address invalid, and in all cases less
readable/useful. Can this be fixed?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation