How to list tables in an SQL database

Roger Kingston roger.kingston at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 21 04:54:41 EST 2004

Thanks again Jan, I very much appreciate your in-depth knowledge of the
secrets of Rev!

My tests, which I performed on ODBC connections both local (MS Access)
and over the Internet (MS SQL), show that the revdb_tablenames()
function does exist (i.e. no error message when called), but the
response is always empty.  This is strange, because I can manipulate the
connected databases very successfully with all the other revdb funtions
and commands, so I'm not sure what is going wrong here.  I tried the
exact example you mailed me and the response was empty.  Perhaps this is
why the function isn't documented, maybe it's not properly supported?

The only other clue I have is that when using the Automatic DB Query
form, it too fails to list the database tables.  Could it be connected
with something in my local setup or do others experience the same
problem?

Regards

Roger Kingston

Hi Roger,

Indeed I was referring to an automatic query from the
Query Builder.
If you're not using that, you could try the
'revdb_tablenames' function ; unfortunately that
didn't get an entry in the docs either.
So assuming tConnectionID is the ID of a connection to
your database, try this :
--
  put revdb_tablenames(tConnectionID) into tTables
  answer tTables

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same
time."  (La Rochefoucauld)