RevConference - Client Server vs Stateless

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jan 15 13:34:15 EST 2004

Other reasons:

13) Having a php/asp/jsp middle layer allows to do *more* than just stuff
data into a database. Such as:

13 a) server-side validation of data
   b) upload and manage files on a server
   c) provide a SOAP based web services interface to *other* apps.

14) While I *love* RunRev, I know the PHP/MySQL thing has been *pounded on*
by many more developers and as such is mostly bug free. This level of
robustness is necessary for my clients.

15) If done correctly, provides an easy way for upgrading any of the
n-tiers. Add a new DB, no problem, a new scripting middle layer, no problem,
and even add a new interface (say browser-based) no problem.

Jerry and I have been working with this technique well over a year now and
have found no problems. It's lightning fast, and provides a separation of
business logic which enables teams to work easily on the solution. In the
case of a recent project, Jerry did all of the RunRev coding, while Chris
did the PHP back-end. Hemingway is created this way.

best,

Chipp