CGI Presentation at Revolution Seminar

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Jan 14 18:02:45 EST 2004

Le mer 14/01/2004 à 20:38, jbv a écrit :
> Pierre,
>
> Thanks for the answer.
>
> Regarding RedHat, is there a recommended complete
> configuration for a server that will be used for a
> dedicated web app, with :
> - MC/Rev CGI
> - quite a lot of HTML
> - a database (don't know yet wether it'll be mySQL, PostgreSQL,
> Valentina, or perhaps simple flat files)
> - a few automated tasks via chron jobs
> - automated emails...

RedHat 9 and above...

PostgreSQL is not more difficult to learn than MySQL is but lots more
powerfull and secure. I use it since years and didn't find any more
usefull ACID compliant RDBMS, including commercial solutions.

As long as you don't use a real application server, the flat-files way
can't be a competitive solution : for each new request, a cgi script
loads from disk all the datas stored in flat-files.

About the automated emails, i'm using PostFix and the great Sean's rev's
libs :

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"