Why are bugs from September still untouched?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jan 14 09:42:04 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 03:25 AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com
wrote:

> I entered a bug in September of last year and it is still marked as
> NEW?

I know what you mean.  I entered the matchText() crash bug back in
August.  It is still at NEW.  The only progress seems to be the
component was changed to "Mac Specific Issues", though I have seen no
evidence that it is Mac specific.  Since then I have narrowed down the
bug and can avoid it by not using certain regex, meaning I can't enjoy
matchText() as I might.  These will crash, for example:  "(?:x)*",
"(?>x)*", "(?:x){0,836}".  Those are not useful in themselves, but the
useful ones that crash are complicated.

My guess is that RunRev has limited resources for bug fixes.  One
strategy is to apply those directly to bug fixes.  Another might be to
apply those resources to buzz-word product enhancements that would
create sales that would allow resources to be increased so bugs can be
fixed.  A manager might also need to consider what it takes to keep
technical staff happy and that might include building new stuff once in
a while.  Though I would lean toward directly fixing bugs and
addressing other core issues, I have to respect the call of those at
the wheel.

> I've also entered some bugs that never got saved...

I have not seen this.

Dar Scott