imageSource Linked Data -- what is it? where is it?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Jan 13 23:13:19 EST 2004

Short query: is the imageSource of a char that comes initially from a
disk file, imported into a stack or is it a linked, "placed" image that
pulls the data runtime, but whose image data is not saved in the stack.

Long story:

  I have the following button which demonstrates

a) saving image data on the clipboard to a file

    ## I was not able to do this in a direct statement
    ## put the clipboarddata["image" into url "file:some.jpg" -- didn't
work binfile also no...
    ## but had to resort to creating and image then using EXPORT.

b) assigning the image to a character in a field

this is for the purpose of including inline graphics-diagrams in a
book. the diagrams or TIFFs in the OCR program that are happily
understood by Rev in OSX and output nicely as pngs....

Now, I am getting unexpected results if the image that is set up as the
source for the imageSource of a character is modified.

The Expectation is (probably off base) that like any placed graphic or
filename ref to an image, if the image is edited in an external
application (imageReady, photoshop etc) and saved with the same file
name, then the "placed" image will be updated.

Question: is this concept valid for the imageSource of a character in a
field that was "linked" to a file on disk?  OR: is the imageSource of
such a character effectively importing the data of the image into the
stack as part of the stack?

Since the number of graphics is unknown and could possibly balloon, the
stack could grow too big... and we could opt for a different strategy,
like show the diagrams in a drawer to the right of the field and use
filename to reference the disk file to an image object instead of a fld
character.

on mouseup
   if the selection is empty then
   answer "Select a character where you want the image to go." with "OK"
   exit mouseup
   end if
  put the selectedchunk into tTextDiagramLocation
   put  the clipboarddata["image"] into image "diagram"
   answer folder "choose a folder"
   put it & "/" & "somePhoto.jpg" into tPath
   export image "Photo" to file tpath as JPEG
   set the imageSource of tTextDiagramLocation to ("binfile:" & tPath)
end mouseup

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery