OT: animation [was Re: iMovie vs Final Cut Pro-- and Final Cut Express]

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Jan 13 21:26:02 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 5:50 PM, erik hansen wrote:
> can we combine video and animation
> a la Roger Rabbit, scripted in Revolution
> and interactive at all times?

BTW Richard Harris, director of _Who Framed Roger Rabbit_ published in
2001 _The Animator's Survival Kit_. I have it in front of me and it is
truly a great book.

To do what you describe- combining video and animation, with full
control, I think you would have to use a combination of Quicktime, Gif
animation, and PNG frame sequences. Or some or all of those. If full
control and interactivity was not needed I guess AfterEffects or
something else could be used.

BTW Anyone interested in character animation, or 2D or 3D rendering,
Flash, Director, or animation in general, keep an eye on announcements
from Microsoft about Expression3 and LivingCels. Real soon hopefully.

Microsoft bought Creaturehouse last year, and their website is kind of
shut-down, but you can get some old info about their apps here:
<http://www.creaturehouse.com/>

The drawing programs Expression and LivingCels feature a technology
named "skeletal strokes". <http://www.creaturehouse.com/skstroke.htm>.
There are some illustrations and scientific papers at that URL that are
very fascinating.

Skeletal strokes is a very innovative drawing technology. From the
artist's point of view it really lends itself to expressively making
animations, characters, scenery, etc. It's hard to describe how
amazingly cool this software is.

Skeletal strokes can be higher order, i.e. defined in terms of other
skeletal strokes. This can be used to easily build up paint strokes
consisting of multitudes of body parts, organisms, plants, landscapes,
whatever.

Or a skeletal stroke can be higher order but defined in terms of it's
self. Then you have a recursively defined stroke, and you are painting
with a fractal paint brush!

Or a skeletal stroke can be as refined a watercolor stroke or pen and
ink.

Skeletal strokes also have features for anchoring, repeating segments,
variable width, variable transparency, and multi-view strokes. The
expressive possibilities are endless.

LivingCels can export movies to Quicktime, but it can also generate
individual frames in TIFF, or in Expression3 format. So a movie could
be converted to animated-gif 89a, or a sequence of PNG frames with full
alpha-channel transparency. So a lot of possibilities for getting the
animations into Revolution.

It is a 2D animation system, however I mention 3D because there is a
lot of support for 2.5D animation in Expression. For instance, a
multiple-view skeletal stroke with relative anchoring can give the
appearance of a character rotating or moving in 3D. Also with texture
mapping, perspective transformations and a mesh-warp grid, there is a
lot of room for drawing in 3D without having to go actual 3D and create
wireframe, objects, and physical models ala OpenGL- where you get (in
theory) more realism in the rendering, but actually lose most of the
expressive capability for character animation. Unless you are truly a
master of Maya or these other extremely complex apps and you can bring
life into 3D wireframe or rotoscoped models.

There are several 2D animation apps that kind of try to do what
LivingCels does, like ToonBoom Studio, Moho, and others. But they just
don't compare.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>