[OT] Re: XML Tutorial

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Jan 13 18:31:06 EST 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 1:21 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> Sorry, this really has got OT now, so I'll shut up after this, but I'm
> still looking to make sense of a phrase like "typing in the XML
> markup".

Not really off topic, if we are using revXML to do it:-)

You have it right. XML is "extensible" markup language. You can invent
your own document types. You can create  XML documents just by thinking
up element and attribute names, and typing it into a text editor!

However, if you want to interchange data with 3rd parties or apps, then
you get into wellformed-ness of the document, and whether the text is
compliant with a particular XML document type, which can be specified
in various ways (DTD, Schema, RelaxNG, ???).

Many HTML editor apps can save docs as XHTML, which is HTML as a
well-formed XML document. So if you know HTML you kind of know what XML
is about already.

SMGL is the older, more complex sibling of XML.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>