XML Tutorial

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 13 06:09:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:00:28 -0700, Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> wrote:

>On Jan 12, 2004, at 8:41 AM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:
> > Does anyone have a stack that shows how XML's work in Rev for
> > 'beginners'?
>
>I think core concepts with revXML are:
>
>[interesting stuff on revXML and then more general, using 'Macbeth' as an
>example...]

I am using this to infer what XML is and what it's for - I know, this was
not Alex's intention when writing his post, but in fact it takes me quite a
long way. However the question I can't tackle intuitively from the sample
is "how would I define and populate my XML tree - or whatever it's called -
faced with the text of 'Macbeth'?", and maybe "How general could such a
parser/populator be? Once constructed - presumably with some set of rules -
could I use it on 'Hamlet'?" I suppose the answer to the second question
has got to be "Yes" provided the range of syntax and punctuation of the two
plays is broadly the same (**exactly** the same?). Still looking for that
type of guidance - tho of course strictly this is OT to RunRev: for which I
crave your indulgence, my Lords.

TIA

Graham