Outstanding Revolution Developer Conference

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 12 09:40:28 EST 2004

>> On Jan 11, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Mark Brownell wrote:
>>
>>> So, unless a secret decoder ring is required, will someone that went
>>> to this tell us what Kevin Miller said:
>>>
>>> 8 AM ­ 9 AM
>>> Kevin Miller, Runtime Revolution
>>> Revolution¹s fearless leader will be letting you get the inside scoop
>>> on version 2.5 with additional surprise announcements and guests.

That portion was under NDA.  Until Kevin makes another post here, to the
best of my knowledge the press release is the only public info on v2.5
available:

<http://www.mactech.com/news/mt-news-detail.mgi?id=00000b61bc1f7656>

Speaking of MacTech:  the January issue (on the stands now or very soon in
most areas) has an article starting on p54 from yours truly titled "In
Praise of 4GLs: How to build an Internet app in less than a day", which
serves as an introduction to using libURL.  If you've been interested in
getting started with libURL you may find that article helpful.

MacTech has been very kind to the Revolution community.  If you missed Tim
Monroe's great series on working with QuickTime in Rev, back issues of
MacTech are available through Dev Depot:
<http://www.devdepot.com/mactechstore/>

>> We Should Launch Revolution Developer Field Trip to South America, this
>> way I could visit you folks! :-D
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andre
>>
> Or perhaps to Finland...
>
> --h

If you need speakers in either place just send a plane ticket and I'm there.
:)

Here in SoCal we've found the mini-RevDevCon meetings we've been holding to
be fun and valuable.  One of the nice things about RunRev's good marketing
is that you might be surprised a how many other Rev developers are in your
area. Before Rev came along I knew of only three MetaCard users in Los
Angeles, but lately the RevDevCons have outgrown my mezzanine and now I have
to turn up extra seating for my larger downstairs for the next one.  Our
last meeting had more than a dozen folks, and Scott Rossi even flew down
from the Bay area to show us some cool tools he's been working on.

We've found this format loose enough to be fun and just structured enough to
be useful:  we meet, greet, and gab from 7pm tp 8pm, dinner at a restaurant
a few yards from 8pm to 9pm (pizza will probably do if you're not walking
distance from a restaurant <g>), then back to the loft for a presentation or
two followed by group problem-solving over dessert.

Even if you only have a few Rev developers in your area, holding a local
user group meeting can be a very good time.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation