A text representation of recent actions?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 06:07:14 EST 2004

--- Doug Lerner <doug at webcrossing.com> wrote:
> For example, say a user has
>
> choose pencil tool
>
> set and draws in the image.
>
> Is there a way of capturing, in text form, what the
> user did so that
> information can be sent to a server?
>
> doug

Hi Doug,

Even if it may not immediately apply to your project,
here's a good trick for tracking the user's
scribblings :

1) Make a button "Prepare to scribble" and set its
script to :
--
on mouseUp
  set the style of the templateGraphic to "curve"

2) Make another button "Show scribblings" and set its
script to :
--
on mouseUp
  answer the points of graphic -1

3) Click on the first button, and scribble away. Then
click on the second button to see where the mouse was
dragged to create the scribbling.

What it boils down to : when you use the 'curve' tool,
the engine tracks how the user created the curve by
means of the points the user dragged the mouse over.
So by looking at the points, you can effectively see
how the user scribbled all over the place. You can
even use the 'export snapshot' command to update the
image afterwards to include the curve graphic.

Just a thought,

Jan Schenkel.

=====