Mac OS 9 and sockets - are they slow?

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Mon Jan 12 04:33:24 EST 2004

I am doing some socket experiments between a Rev client and a server. For
the standalone apps I build for OS X or Windows, the response is great - the
sockets open and the communication with the server is essentially
instantaneous.

But with the OS 9 build, the socket open time is REALLY slow - like 15 to 30
seconds - during which time nothing seems to be happening with the client.
And with multiple sockets open it gets worse.

Is this just an OS 9 socket implementation limitation? Or is the problem
that I am running my OS 9 standalone app under Classic? (My machine won't
startup directly in OS 9).

I am not even sure I need to support OS 9 with what I am doing, but thought
I would ask...

Thanks,

Doug Lerner, Tokyo