Best place for common script

Robert J. Earp bob at ashford.ca
Sat Jan 10 15:24:26 EST 2004

Hello all, greetings from Vancouver where the skiing is fantastic this year.

Over the years I've scripted a whole mess of sub-routines/ functions/tools
etc. , most recently in ToolBook, where I've used their System Books feature.

For those of you that have never used ToolBook, they use the term Book the
same as Rev uses Stack, and System Books are just regular ToolBook files
(Books) with a .sbk extension, but with the ability to be dynamically
linked with a project Book.  This means that they are automatically in the
message path hierarchy, above the project book (the main stack), and below
the engine (ToolBook interpreter itself).

The great thing about this is that you can just fire off a message to a
handler/function located in a .sbk and it gets trapped, acted upon and
replied to as appropriate.

You also have the added feature of being able to have more than System Book
with one for, say, a CBT navigation schema, and one with some development
tools.  On the fly you can link or unlink these books so its easy to
deliver a project with the features of one System Book and automatically
the other.

My question is quite basic, but one that I suspect will draw a plethora of
different opinions.  Given the concept above and, to my knowledge Rev does
not support such a concept, where is the best place to put "System Book"
functionality ?  Main stack, sub stack?  At what level ?  Can you link
stacks so that they are at a specific level of the message hierarchy ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

best, Bob...

Robert J. Earp - Ashford Training Technologies
18059 21A Avenue, South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.  V3S 9V7
T:(604) 541 1662  Cel: (604) 612 6688 Fx: (604) 541 1686