Uh... yet Game Programming... or Is there a way to build tilemap graphics in Rev?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Jan 9 11:57:56 EST 2004

On Jan 9, 2004, at 5:53 AM, Dave Beck wrote:

> Also, I found it helpful to keep a separate 'lookup' field of
> button ids, again each line representing a row of the grid and each
> item
> representing a column. When you need set the button's icon at (2,4),
> you can
> lookup the button's ID from item 2 of line 4 of your lookup field.
> Probably
> both these fields could be replaced by arrays (perhaps with a speed
> bonus?),
> but I have had some trouble with two dimensional arrays in the past and
> opted to steer clear.

I bet you could gain some speed by moving that field lookup into a
custom property. Field accesses are slower than custom property
accesses. You could continue to use item and line chunking instead of
2D arrays.

It would be interesting to know if 2D arrays would be faster than
item/line chunking. I am guessing not.

>  Just my 2-sense. Good luck!

Thanks for the info & looking forward to checking out this Rev game.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>