Icons and the Image Library

JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au JonathanC at ag.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jan 8 07:04:41 EST 2004

Sorry, another (basic) series of questions...

I don't understand how icons work in Revolution.
I converted a HyperCard stack (a copy of "Home", actually) to Rev. Most of
the (black-and-white) icons seemed to transfer OK, so I tried to get them
into my custom library ("My Library") but I couldn't work out how to do it
- short of doing a screenshot, opening it in Photoshop, saving each icon
as a separate GIF file and then importing them one by one with the "Import
File..."button (!).

I thought if I selected a button with a custom icon while the "Library"
window was open and then clicked "Import Selected", it would work, but I
get an error message: "There are no images in the selection". (What's the
difference between an image and an icon?)

I double-click the button - so that the Inspector window opens - and
choose "Icons & Border". Next to "Icon" is a number (21444) which I assume
is the icon's ID. Clicking on the little "magic wand" next to it brings up
a dialog box, which looks very much like the Images tab of the Library
window. And there are the icons (well, most of them; some of them just
appear as rows of dots ... ?). But these icons don't appear anywhere in
the Library window.

What am I missing? Is there an "easy" way of copying icons? Sorry to be
harking back to HyperCard again, but in HC you could just copy a button in
one stack and (if the icon resource was in that stack) paste it into
another stack and the icon resource would be copied as well. Then of
course there was Resource Mover.(Incidentally,  I tried Sarah Reichelt's
"ResourceCopier.rev" but the icons don't appear as resources - which
doesn't really surprise me, I guess.)

Thanks again.

Jonathan Cooper

Manager of Information / Website