[OT] new Mac software: GarageBand and iLife'04

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jan 8 02:35:48 EST 2004

Alex-

I'm much less impressed with GarageBand after spending some time
playing with it at the show. No support for plugins, no matter whether
you're talking about VST, Audio Units, or whatever. And pretty limited
signal processing is built in.

And the midi loops stuff looks like fun until you want to move off the
dominant chord. I couldn't find any way to do that and the Apple rep
who was demoing the product couldn't figure it out either. I remember
that when SJ was doing his dog-and-pony show he was basically just
grabbing sound samples and adding them in, but everything was based on
a single chord.

As an entry-level toy it looks like fun and I'm looking forward to
spending some more time playing with it, but I don't see it giving any
of the existing programs a run for their money.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net