XP GIF display oddities

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jan 7 14:37:34 EST 2004

David,

A couple of points.

1) I doubt the compatibility wizard creates *any* envrironment variables
(course, I could be wrong, but this is the *first* I've ever heard of this.
Couldn't find *anything* on Google about it either, which would confirm my
suspicion that the wizard isn't affecting anything. My understanding of the
wizard is that it mostly checks a database to see if the program has been
'XP certified.' Of course your app wouldn't be (unless you've submitted it
to MS for certification....$$$$)

2) It sounds like the problem could be your users display drivers. Generally
when *standard* images display incorrecty on XP in Rev, the issue is display
drivers.

You can have your user to the following to test:

Right-click the desktop and select properties
choose settings tab
click on the Advanced button
Click the Troubleshoot tab
Turn Hardware acceleration to NONE and turn off the Enable write combining
check box.
Relaunch the problem program and see if it the problem goes away.
If it does go away, then you can gradually add increasing levels of Hardware
acceleration until it appears again ( and try checking the 'enable write
combining' box again)

If this works, then the issue is the display drivers and your user could
check for driver updates...or just use the lower acceleration.

best,

Chipp