revGoURL on 10.2.3

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 5 20:19:47 EST 2004

Alex Rice wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2004, at 1:55 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> but I have not yet
>> come up with a robust solution for launching a local file in the user's
>> default browser in Panther. :(
>
> How about:
> get shell("open /path/to/file.html")

Same as "open location":  if the file has a type code assigned it open in
the assigned app.

I'll just add a step to my release process to automate the clearing of my
help files' type code, but I wonder:

It's been nearly a decade since the Web was privatized, and for most of that
time all major operating systems have shipped with at least one browser
pre-installed, widely used for viewing both local and remote files.

Given this, it seems reasonable to expect OSes to include a simple one-line
API for launching HTML documents in the user's default browser.

Today we add a half-dozen lines of AppleScript to strip the file type code
and launch the file on Mac and few of lines to query different registry
settings on various versions of Windows, but being an optimist I'm confident
that operating systems will provide a one-liner for this common task
sometime before the next decade ends. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation