[OT/ANN] Now I'm a father

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Mon Jan 5 02:06:04 EST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 1:54 PM, erik hansen wrote:

> --- kee nethery <kee at kagi.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to recommend a book
>>
>> Baby Signs
>>
>> we picked a handful of signs and used them with
>> the words when we communicated with our baby.
>
> were these "signs" pictures, words or both?
> the implication is that all infants are
> frustrated non-communicators.
> no wonder they cry.

They are hand signs that are specific to what a baby can do with their
hands. Much of ASL (American Sign Language?) involves using fingers and
babies (or at least ours) wasn't able to do ASL style signs. These I
guess are more akin to gestures. He learned roughly 6 of the 12 we
decided to use on a regular basis and he made up around 6 of his own
that we picked up on. We did not go through the frustrated
non-communicator stage. It was soooo cool when after a shower and we
had dried him off, when he asked for More Shower (since those were two
signs he could do). So we stuck him back in the shower and he was
amazingly happy.

Kee