Mac Hypercard to Windows Rev

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jan 4 12:48:24 EST 2004

Jacque-

JLG> This is a good tip. I have had many stacks that crash Revolution and/or
JLG> MetaCard because I forgot to compact them before trying to do a
JLG> conversion. It's a good idea to compact at least twice in a row, and I
JLG> usually do three (but probably the third one is just superstitious.) The
JLG> first compaction cleans up different things than the second one if it is
JLG> done immediately after the first. Don't do anything else in between the
JLG> two compactions.

Interesting... I also always do three. In my case I think this habit
comes from two places. First of all the three consecutive times you
need to reset the PRAM on a Macintosh before being sure that
everything's really cleared. Secondly from experience I've found that
making a serious change on a Windows computer (changing the network
settings, for one) requires three reboots before all the driver tables
are completely rebuilt properly.

People tend to look at me funny when I do things like this, but it
*does* work out, and I've just gotten into the habit of doing these
things three times to make sure they take.

...at any rate, it's easier than shaking the bones and sacrificing a
chicken...

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net