OT Re: Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 3 23:41:42 EST 2004

Richard,

Well said. I enjoyed reading the article as well. In fact, it echos
something I've been talking about for awhile. I-Tunes is the 'BETAMAX'
to the rest of the online Music 'VHS'. And those who invest in the
'beta' technology will end up not being able to use the scores of other
hardware, software and media retail/online outlets for their music
needs. While I applaud Apple for innovating the finest current
hardware/software model for music distribution,IMHO,  it's only a
matter of a couple of years before they become an also-ran in this
market-- unless they can provide some sort of standard which can be
shared by other players, including DELL, HP, SONY, etc.. Too bad Apple
isn't as innovative in business as they are in technology.

Kind of reminds me of how great the original Mac was. I purchased one
the first week and drug it to work with me at TI then Compaq (early
days) *because* it was a product which allowed me to do industrial
design on the computer-- something no other computer could do at the
time. I stayed with it until Win95, when it became obvious that MS
would soon have 90% of the features and 300% of the software -- at only
70% of the cost. Now, folks can do just about anything on either Mac or
PC (and soon Linux). Computers are commodities. Choice is personal
preference, not necessarily one of productivity and/or capability....
And for each report that says MacOS is easier, there's another one
saying XP more efficient and Linux cheaper;-)

I'm writing this on a Mac, too (I really like their Email client -
seems better to me than Outlook)
See you in San Francisco next week!

-Chipp