XP GIF display oddities

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 3 22:56:07 EST 2004

David,

I believe Jacqueline is correct. You probably saved the GIF with
incorrect settings.

The GIF format has several ways to further compress an animation
(besides just LZW and reduced # of colors).

One way is to do interframe compression by only storing differences
between frames, instead of storing a separate image for each frame.
This can be called "redundant pixel removal." Most animated GIF
programs automatically turn this on. While it works great in browsers
(because it makes for very small files), it's not good for RR as the RR
engine needs to step forwards and backwards through a GIF file
(browsers, don't), which is most difficult from an engine point of
view. See if your software can build GIFs without redundant pixel
removal (ImageReady can do this).

Another way is to use a bounding box compression scheme, which looks at
the background of a single frame and draws a box around only the pixels
which are different. So a 100 x 100 frame could have a small logo in
the middle which would be bounded by a region 50x50, so the GIF file
only stores the 50x50 rectangle and includes a pointer to the place
where it starts.

Again, it's probably wise to turn this feature off as well (again,
ImageReady can do this).

So, try reprocessing you GIF's and see if it doesn't solve your
problems. It should.

--Chipp Walters, Altuit, inc.