Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jan 3 15:56:31 EST 2004

On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> I'm not sure, but from what I've read, it's not as simple as twiddling
> a decimal number for the gamma somewhere in the system defaults.
>
> <http://www.poynton.com/notes/colour_and_gamma/GammaFAQ.html>

I found note #16 here to be helpful in understanding this.

There might be some tips we can put together for the current Revolution
and there might be some direct and simple enhancements we can suggest.

However, I find it good to shoot for the moon in initial wishing.  In
Revolution it is hard for me to see what should be OS oriented or user
oriented.  I think this should be user oriented.  Like this...

Goal 1
A designer can make a stack from a great variety of images from a
variety of sources and environments.

Goal 2
If two colors among image colors or other colors display equal in one
environment, they will display equal in every environment with the same
or less colors.

Goal 3
The above two apply even to externally referenced (but fixed) image
files.

Goal 4
There is a strong tendency for colors to look right in the environment
the stack is in.  Very little darkening or washout when a stack moves
to a different environment.

Goal 5
Tools and image properties are available that make Goal 1 possible and
not too painful.

Goal 6
The processing of image information does not go backwards.  Maybe there
are image properties that help it go forward.

I think the above is possible, but a design might need to take care
concerning when/what/how many power transforms are needed.

Dar Scott