Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 3 02:38:09 EST 2004

Thanks Scott and Dar,

Update: I've been building an app for both Mac and PC which runs inside the
RR IDE and hope to preview it at the RR conference in SF next week. It is
resizable and uses a white 'hilite PNG' to create a sheen over a background
texture. The titlebar is custom (I'm using Scott's latest 'on mouseMove
handlers' - thanks;-) and it has a blue blinking round lite to indicate
online updates.

I tried a cleaner cut for the GIF, but it still wasn't 'perfect', so one
solution was to make it a square instead of a circle, so the mask is perfect
and crisp, but I really liked the ball. So, even though the card bg pattern
and the hilite img were PNG's, I decided to change the titlebar to a JPG
pattern. Of course, the colors are different from Mac to PC, but the GIF
matches perfectly on both.

BTW, Scott, yep -- I turned off all of the color compensation stuff in
Photoshop on the Mac and PC. And changed the Mac gamma via the Display
control panel to be a bit darker and reflect the PC gamma...though it's
still significantly lighter. You'd think Apple would get that right as so
many websites are designed around the PC gamma. Perhaps I just don't have it
right.

Dar, perhaps you can tell me what the internal gamma setting is for a Pshop
PC generated PNG vs a PShop Mac generated PNG...my guess it they are the
same, as I couldn't get a PNG and trans GIF to ever work correctly on my Mac
unless setting the gamma to the PC value.

-Chipp