[OT/ANN] Now I'm a father

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Sat Jan 3 01:07:09 EST 2004

I'd like to recommend a book

Baby Signs

we picked a handful of signs and used them with the words when we
communicated with our baby. At three months he could sign for more, and
drink, and shower and best of all, he could tell us that he wanted his
diaper changed. Half of the signs he got from us, half we got from him.
He no longer uses the signs because his vocabulary is so extensive. I
know the signing reduced his frustration levels by giving him a
framework for communication.

Highly recommended.

The other advise I have is get a field notebook that will last for
decades and keep notes in it about your kid. Think of it as the
official log book. My wife just remembers stuff but I need it
documented. When we go to the doctor I can refer to my notes in the
book and answer questions. Figure when he's off to college he'll be
able to refer to it when his doctor asks him "did you have ...?" or
"when was the last time you got a shot for ...?"

Have fun!

Kee Nethery