Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Jan 3 01:05:57 EST 2004

On 1/2/04 9:37 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>> In
>> addition to the multiple graphic formats that we can employ, users will
>> rarely have the opportunity to directly compare the appearance of a Mac
>> stack with a Windows stack.
>
> But his problem is a gif next to a png.

In case you missed it, I was responding to Chipp's statement about the
appearance of his images:

> Don't know about if it's possible to change the gamma for the PNG. Even
> if it were possible, it would probably end up creating even more
> 'washed out' images on Macs or 'too dark' images on PC.

As far as placing an animated GIF next to a PNG goes, Chipp himself provided
one solution.  Another solution I alluded to would be to employ an image
format other than PNG.  Or the reverse: use a series of PNGs displayed by
script to replace the animated GIF.  Another solution could be to build the
GIF differently, eliminating as much unnecessary background as possible, so
that only the animated portion of the GIF was visible against the PNG
background.  Of course, these solutions depend on the specific problem -- so
far I've rarely seen as problem like this that couldn't be solved with a
little ingenuity in building the image.  I'm sure Chipp can manage these
being the graphics guy he is.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director