A message for data waiting at a socket?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 00:49:48 EST 2004

--- snip ---

> What would be nicer though is if data were pushed from the other side (the
> server I am connected to) to the socket that that would send a
> message to a
> handler. That seems more dynamic and efficient and "in the spirit" of a
> message-driven system. My app could then respond whenever data arrives.

Nice idea, Doug... but for the message-driven model to apply, the two stacks
(client and server) must share the same Rev session. Since they're
[presumably] on different machines, that can't happen.

I suppose you could virtually join the two environments with a 'socket
reader/message dispatcher' stack running on each machine. Its job would be
to:
- receive socket data from 'the other side', translate it to Rev messages
and send them within its local Rev environment.
- receive local Rev messages, translate them to socket data and send the
data to the other environment.

Food for thought. I'm a big dreamer, so beware! ;o)

Phil Davis