A message for data waiting at a socket?

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Sat Jan 3 00:45:29 EST 2004

On 1/3/04 2:40 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 10:34 PM, Doug Lerner wrote:
>
>> But... what happens if no data is present? Wouldn't it cause a
>> cpu-intensive-slowing-down loop like:
>>
>> read
>> nothing's there so finished so signal read
>>
>> ?
>
> No.

Why not? :)

> Isn't that cool?

Yes, if true. (^_^) I will test it now and see.

> How would you know that?  For me I wanted it so bad, when I first
> started using revolution that I experimented until I found it.

Well, it's good I joined this mail list today then!

> The read completes only then the buffer is non-empty.

Ah. So if the buffer is originally empty, it waits for it to be non-empty
and then reads? Interesting.

> Uh, what OS are you using?

I am developing using Mac OS X, but this must end up being a cross-platform
client. Why?

doug