Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 2 19:54:07 EST 2004

On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 04:51 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I've created a stack to demonstrate the issue, and offer some
> solutions on
> how to best solve it. Just type into your msg box and hit return:
>
> open stack URL
> "http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/GammaTest.rev"
>
> Please let me know (you Mac folk) if you know of other workarounds!

I don't know if BMP has a gamma.  It is optional in the PNG.  It might
also have other related parameters that would be used instead.

I can look at a hex dump and see if the PNG has one, but somebody else
might have a utility that allows looking at that or fiddling with it.

It might be that Revolution is ignoring the Gamma or handling it wrong.
  I suspect not, since there is a screenGamma and since a gamma is
created when a PNG is created from an image object.  It is worth
looking into, though.  It might be that the file has the more
complicated screen parameters and Revolution does not handle those.

It might be that the PNG does not have a Gamma.  I would have thought
Photoshop would have saved it.  I'll see what my Mac Photoshop, does.

Dar Scott