Displaying Browse Tool After Pull Down Selection

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Jan 2 16:10:28 EST 2004

Hi All,

An issue I noticed while debugging SDB Dictionary:

I have a pull down menu button from which the user can select a
specific record type.  I noticed that the cursor, set to browse tool,
turns to a pointer on mouse down over the button and will not return
to browse unless & until the cursor leaves the (modeless) stack
window after mouseUp.

To offset this, I placed "choose browse tool" in the last line of the
button's mouseUp handler; however, the cursor still refused to switch
back from pointer.

At this point I added the line, put "I'm choosin' browse!" on the
line before "choose browse tool", and guess what?...I now have the
browse tool I want at the expense of an open Message Box I don't
want.  Comment out the put, and the cursor remains a pointer until it
leaves & reenters the stack window.

Anyone care to offer a guess as to what is going on or a workaround
for refreshing the cursor without the put statement?

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company
http://www.oenolog.net/who.htm