Using libs from several stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 29 15:15:30 EST 2004

Robert Brenstein wrote:

> True, but issuing 'start using' second time should change the order of
> used stacks but not produce an error message. There must be something
> else going on yet. May be there is libraryStack handler used and it
> tries to load sth second time.

The libraryStack message can be problematic, since to use it robustly
requires the same structure for any usage which is stack-specific:

on libraryStack
   if the short name of the target is the short name of me then
      -- do initialization stuff
   end if
   pass libraryStack
end libraryStack

Without that any stack brought into use will trigger the libraryStack
message for all other stacks in use (unless one of them isn't passing
the message, but not passing system messages for stacks distributed for
others to use is so untidy that I prefer to pretend it doesn't happen
<g> -- if anyone finds any of my libraries, frontscripts, or backscripts
not passing messages it's a bug and should be reported immediately).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation