Important question regarding next major Rev version

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Feb 27 08:40:40 EST 2004

Le 27 févr. 04, à 00:23, valetia @mac.com a écrit :

> Pierre Sahores <psahores at easynet.fr> wrote:
>
>> Be welcome to the List. There are lots of interesting thinks to share
>> with cool and helpfull people there.
>
> Once again, I am not a newcomer to this list.
>
>> Just take care about the thing
>> that Revolution is howned by a great but small company with full handy
>> designers and programmers, whose are working hard 16/24 hours, 6/7
>> days
>> to improve the performances of the product. They are always focusing
>> their efforts with 2 grades of priorities : First, the improvement of
>> the stability and the performances of the engine (witch always roocks,
>> if you know how to get the best from it), Second, the improvement of
>> the stability, the performances and the features of the IDE (witch is
>> not always exactly working as firsly expected,... mostly under the
>> Linux platform).
>
> Well, those efforts have been rock solid for some time already. After
> those priorities are settled, isn't it time to look at the remaining
> priorities, which are just as important?
>
> How would you feel if you had put together most of a 10,000 piece
> puzzle
> and had just one last piece missing and you couldn't find it so you
> couldn't frame it or show it to anyone...that's exactly what is
> happening
> now...native UI support being that last piece...

... rock solid SQL databases drivers are missing too (i use,instead,
under both Linux and Panther, shell piped requests to the command-line
databases clients)...

>> If you can work around the unavailable features or bugs you discover
>> and report to the RunRev Team, you will see that Revolution, is over
>> all, a very powerfull and suitable development tool, able to let you
>> code all kind of very suitable professional-grade Desktop and N-Tier
>> solutions.
>
> That again proves my point. When you need to spend days and weeks

... i would probably prefer to say "minutes or hours", there ;)

>  trying
> to "work around" unavailable features or bugs, and then end up with
> working
> widgets that don't look and behave exactly like their native
> counterparts,
> it defeats the purpose of using a RAD. It's supposed to save you time
> and
> produce the correct output, which I know it can, if the UI is native.
>
> We do not doubt the power of Revolution, in fact we have used it to
> create
> what you term "professional-grade Desktop and N-Tier solutions" using
> both
> the client and CGI. We have done full-featured cookie-based web login
> systems,
> interfacing between RR clients and CGI for niche markets, etc. The
> thing
> about such apps is they do not necessarily need to be based on a
> native look
> and feel, but that is *not* what I am talking about here.

I think that, unfortunally, RunRev don't care enought about the market
opportunities of this kind of powerfull N-Tier apps, we are building in
using Rev.

> I am talking about getting the native look and feel right, so that RR
> users
> can tap into the mass consumer market properly with apps that look
> 100% normal,
> without any fake UI elements. I am talking about getting tons of RR
> apps listed
> on VersionTracker, Download.com, etc. that look and work right and
> receive tons
> of rave reviews from people on *all* platforms.

I full agree with you : it's the next step RunRev need to focus its
effort...

> Right now, we have a number of apps just waiting in the wings to be
> released,
> and they work just fine, transcript can handle everything without
> problems,
> but we do not want to spoil our reputation by putting up something
> that can't
> even display standard UI elements properly.

True, again.

> Again, that is why many are calling RR a toy, even though it is not
> so. It is
> time to put a stop to that. Not only does it hurt RR's reputation and
> bottomline, it's also holding back many developers...and consumers end
> up with
> less choices - there is no advantage to any party at all for putting UI
> development on the backburner...

Needed to be said.

> Val

Bests, Pierre

--
Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"