Important question regarding next major Rev version

tuviah snyder tuviah at runrev.com
Thu Feb 26 06:53:34 EST 2004

>  >- real list fields with the option for real column headers that can be
>  >dragged around and with built-in column sorting like real columns do.
>  >You know what I'm talking about. "Normal" development environments
>  >allow you to drag these things right into your project, no fuss.
Agreed.

> Why the emulation? Well, in my case, I use ButtonGadget to build apps
> which I can move from platform to platform with their own native
> interface. It makes things much easier for me to port. Lots of other
> cross platform programs do the same (Newtek Lightwave and graphics
> programs already create their own GUI's, as does Trolltech QT and some
> flavors of Java)
Emulation to a certain extent allows up to support all the standard control
messages on all platforms, and the compositing system which was only
recently adopted by OSX without spending months working out the bugs in each
platform specific control. We use the appearence manager on OSX, XP theme
api on Windows, and will continue to add additional support for native look
and feel. Mozilla and TrollTech follow the same approach. The internal theme
api was recently rewritten from the ground up and everything should look
more native in the next release.

>Course, IMHO, it doesn't bother me too much. I seem to be
> able to design and release products with little complaint regarding the
> interface look and feel from my users.
It's a feature certain controls may not be supported on one platform, better
to have it available and look wrong then not work at all or behave
differently. Of course these days with all OSs copying each other it is a
non issue, but back in the early 1990s when the engine was being
designed..it was very sensible to do it this way. Of course things have
changed, and we may need to change as well...

Tuviah