Serious applications

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 18:21:05 EST 2004

On  Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:19:13 -0800, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>But a lot of programmers, developers, software  publishers, IT shops,
>and hobbyists are always on the lookout for greater productivity and
>stronger ROI.  For them Rev has a liberating answer.
[snip]

I agree completely with this remark (well, Richard always talks sense
IMHO!). But for me as an ex-manager in IT (I know there are quite a
few of us on this list), I don't think that the **language** is the
key issue in thinking about constructing a 'serious application'
according to the definition offered by Marc Albrecht - I think it
comes quite a way after issues about the suitability of the whole IDE
for working in teams, support for rigorous testing (including
automated regression testing),modularity, maintainability,
deployment... issues about the organisation and processes involved in
industrial-scale software production.

Personally I no longer have to worry about any of this: for me RR
certainly is a 'liberating answer'.It's a fantastically productive
tool and for cross-platform development seems to me to be almost the
only game in town. But I guess we Revvers should be able to answer
the question "can RunRev cut the mustard in an industrial-scale
context? Would RR be suitable for a development involving 10, 20 or
more staff?". If the answer is 'no', then IMO that's a perfectly
honorable answer, and it still leaves RunRev with worlds to conquer;
but right now I don't think anyone has in fact given a clear answer.

Just 2 more Eurocents

Graham