Serious applications

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Feb 25 16:04:45 EST 2004

Le 25 févr. 04, à 19:04, 3s at seric.es a écrit :

> We are talking about hundred thousands or even
> millions records in tables. We need a powerful database engine:
> PostgreSql or Firebird prefered.

200 connections peer second peer processor equals 200*3600*12 (8 64
000) equals lots of power available to serve your datas. For more
power, the best is to handle big redondant clusters running each one an
applications server+an ACID compliant RDBMS, all binded together trough
a replicator management system - the new PostgreSQL one seems
interesting). From my own experience, the power is no more the main
difficulty or cost. To be realy suitable to the customers needs, a
networked app have to be well designed and easy to improve and
maintain, year after year (the time of "definitive apps" has gone ;-)

Don't missunderstand : Revolution is full suitable to build rock solid
TCP/IP applications servers, not to replace the ACID RDBMS we are aware
with. Rev is not a database server engine (nor Java is) and, even if it
could be ways to program it in this way, why would we have to reinvent
the wheel when PostgreSQL, FireBird, SAPDB or, even Sybase ASE ,are
there to handle this part of the job for us.

> Will give a chance to Revolution :-)

I hope you will find the power you need in speeding it !

> Thanks,
> Jose

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores at easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"