Serious applications

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Feb 25 16:03:07 EST 2004

On Feb 25, 2004, at 1:39 PM, A.C.T. wrote:
> All I want to do is print out the manual that I already have here,
> included in the Revolution application. I cannot deal with the very
> very small windows displaying one or two sentences and having to click
> with the mouse 30 times a minute just to read the next paragraph, I
> tend to not use the mouse at all if possible. All I want is the text
> of this manual in a STANDARD format (plain text, rtf, TeX, HTML, PDF,
> whatever) - all I want to do is giving Transcript a chance: I want to
> learn it - the usual way by reading a usual document.
> I have no problem with BUYING Don Shafers book as soon as I have
> decided to BUY the application it describes! But please forgive if I
> tend to do things in a seemingly more logical way :-)

Consider putting a feature request into bugzilla for different formats
of RR docs. The docs are well written, and comprehensive. I believe RR
said they come out to 900 pages or something, in PDf format.

The current RR docs are just a kind of hypertext. Think of it as a
small web browser, but closely integrated into the IDE.

Once you get used to the docs interface you will see you can very
rapidly switch from script editor to Transcript dictionary, to
background material. Despite being forced to use the mouse. Like it or
not you are going to need your mouse to use with Runrev.

Couple of other pointers:

- Right click on a keyword in the script editor to define it in the
Transcript docs.

- There is a preference for the IDE having the tooltips that shows
either the property name, or the description of what the property does.

Hope this helps,

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com