Serious applications

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 25 15:19:13 EST 2004

Mark Wieder wrote:

> I think the hard task in front of RunRev is convincing
> current programmers that they should learn a new language
 > and syntax.

 From Perl to Java to JavaScript to C to C++ to Objective C, this is
always the challenge.  Let folks use what they prefer. Transcripters
won't force C programmers to use chunk expressions if C programmers
don't force Transcripters to use an evaluation operator for assignments.
:)  Creating a programming language is not a trivial task; each language
solves a problem and has its place.

Folks who enjoy a certain comfort with their current language will
remain with what they know.  Sometimes that's a productive decision,
sometimes not.  After all, if it works don't fix it, and if they don't
work with Rev they'll never see it as a productivity loss.*

But a lot of programmers, developers, software  publishers, IT shops,
and hobbyists are always on the lookout for greater productivity and
stronger ROI.  For them Rev has a liberating answer.

RunRev doesn't need to convince the world of its efficacy to be
successful.  If over the course of its lifetime just 5% of Java
programmers add it to their arsenal the company will have been
enormously successful.

SunWorld magazine once wrote of the engine:

    "... once users have come up to speed with the package,
     it becomes a must-have UNIX utility, allowing fast
     prototyping, easy interactive presentations, and simple
     custom apps."

* Yes, all languages can call libraries, so in effect one could argue
that any routine in any language is a one-liner.  But that argument is a
bit of a red herring as it overlooks that libraries have to come from
somewhere, and the challenges inherent in creating truly portable code.
  By the time you've figured out how to display the contents of a text
file in scrolling field on Mac Classic, OS X, Window, and Linux in C++,
a Rev developer has a completed application, About box,  Preferences,
auto-download updates, and all.

Rev isn't for everyone, nor every project.  I wouldn't write operating
systems or device drivers with it, that's what the Assembler-substitute
C is for.

But for GUI apps it's hard to beat.  You can build somewhere between
90-100% of most apps in Rev, and for anything you can't build there are
externals, or if you need deeper hooks there's the Embedded Engine option.

You could think of Rev as a pecompiled object library, on which there
are nearly infinite ways to build.  It's definitely an unusual model and
perhaps not suited for everyone's tastes.  But personal preferences
aside its ROI proposition as a foundation for most GUI apps stands firm.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation