Serious applications

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Wed Feb 25 12:25:43 EST 2004

Hi, Rob,

>> Productivity?
>
> The following is not a rhetorical question: I asked this once before &
> did not see an answer posted.
>
> Does the CW, or any C debugger, debug at the source code level?
>
> Can the C testing environment take you directly to the line of code
> generating a runtime error? ...and let you change the offending code,
> close the script, and continue testing without recompiling & relinking?

Depending on the environment you use: Yes, this is possible. We used SAS
C for some years and it allows you to include line information in the
object chunk. Since C is not an interpreted but a compiled language you
always have to recompile, naturally.

And: C is not the only "choice". For prototyping or even for online
applications, where speed isn't the major issue, I use PHP. Although it
has its drawbacks I found it very productive - from the first hour I
used it.

And: Again, I am sure that taking some time (depending on the
intelligence available - I am dumb, unfortunately, I do not like to
learn new things in general) Transcript must be the holy bible. I can
not judge about it, currently (sic!) it is a closed book for me. That's
all I am saying.

The question starting this thread was for "serious apps" - aside from
this terminus not being "defined" I tried to express my own problems. I
apologize that I sounded like attacking Transcript - I did not mean to,
as you all noticed, I can not judge about Transcript.

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / level-2
Glinder Str. 2
27432 Ebersdorf